Frequently Asked Questions About Golden Visa Portugal
1. What are the main advantages of applying for Portugal Citizenship by investment?
2. Is the Golden Visa Portugal extendable to my family members?
At the same time as your own application, you may apply for the Golden Visa for the following family members:
- Spouse or legal partner
- Children under 18 years of age
- Dependent children under 26 as long as they are unmarried and enrolled as full-time students
- Parents of either spouse if over the age of 66 years old (or 55 and dependent)
- Siblings under the age of 18 years from either spouse or partner if legally responsible
3. What documents are needed for the application of the Portugal Golden Visa?
On proof of purchase of a Golden visa qualifying property from the buyer’s Portuguese bank account, the client can then apply for a Golden Visa. The buyer must provide:
- Proof of Address
- Police Certificate (for anyone over 16)
- Marriage certificate
- Birth certificate
4. How many countries can I travel with Portugal’s passport without visa?
Passport holders can visit 148 countries visa-free. Portuguese citizens can have visa on arrival for 34 countries and can get e-visa for 22 countries.
5. How do I qualify?
There are 3 ways regarding property that enable you to obtain a Golden Visa:
- 280,000 Euro for properties in small town
- 350,000 Euro for properties more than 30 years old or located in areas of urban renovation
- 400,000 Euro – property that qualifies for 400,000 Euro but be in a low population density area
- 500,000 Euro – this is the standard rate and a massive majority of Golden Visa qualifying property is sold at this rate
6. What type of real estate can I invest in?
You are free to select whichever property you wish to purchase; residential, commercial or land. Your investment can be in one property or a portfolio of multiple properties as long as the minimum investment is met. The investment may be structured as a rental property, allowing you to stay the required average of seven days per year in your property while renting it out and earning income during your absence.
7. Can you help me find real estate in Portugal?
Yes. We are associated with several licensed real estate developers in Portugal and would be happy to help you find your ideal property that fulfills the program’s real estate investment requirement.
We guarantee to our clients a smooth, comprehensive service that includes identifying suitable properties, providing transport for property viewings, drafting/reviewing legal contracts, and/or liaising with local notaries and architects as needed.
8. Can I take a mortgage to make my investment?
No, you must pay for the amount in full to qualify for the Golden Visa.
9. Can I sell the investment at any time if I no longer need the Portugal Golden Visa?
Yes, the investor is free to sell the property/investment if you no longer wish to continue with the Golden Visa program. However, to qualify fully, the investor must hold the investment during Portugal Golden Visa’s validity period – 5 years.
10. Once I obtain the visa, do I need to travel to Portugal for a minimum number of days during the year?
Year 1 and 2
|Year 3 and 4||Year 5 and 6||Completion of Year 5|
|14 days||14 days||14 days|
a. Continue GV (14 days/2 years).
b. Pass Portuguese language test
b. Apply for PR
c. Apply for Citizenship
11. How long does it take to obtain Portugal Citizenship?
Once your Golden Visa is issued, you will have to wait five years before you are able to apply for permanent residency and citizenship in Portugal.
12. If I go to Portugal, who can assist me?
Odin Land provides a full service for our clients including preparing all the documents, obtaining the necessary visa and flights. We also can offer clients full inspection tours if you decide to view the properties before buying.
There is also an option to sign a POA with a very reputable law firm that will allow you to complete the property purchase without leaving your country of residence which means you will only have to visit Portugal one for the biometrics before starting the 5-year process.
13. How is the weather in Portugal?
14. Healthcare in Portugal
15. The cost of living in Portugal
16. Education in Portugal
17. How strong is Portugal’s economy?